The Majestic Australian Blackwood: Exotic Wood Zone
The Australian Blackwood tree is found in Tasmania and southeastern Australia. Australian Blackwood is a unique, sustainable hardwood that distinguishes itself from its contemporaries. Not living up to its namesake with regards to coloration, it sports a lustrous golden brown grain in contrast with the black staining of woodworkers' hands when working this material!
Take a look at the amazing features of Australian Blackwood
What is Blackwood?
Blackwood is an Australian Hardwood known as Tasmanian Blackwood, Acacia Blackwood, Blackwood Hickory.etc.
This Australian Wood tree can grow approximately 65- 100 ft tall with trunk diameter of about 2-3 ft with Janka Hardness of 1,160 lbf.
Features of Australian Blackwood
- The Australian Blackwood lumber is highly sought after for its beauty and durability.
- It has a deep red color with black streaks and is often used to make guitars, violins, and other stringed instruments.
- The Blackwood wood has no odour even while working with this wood.
- Australian Blackwood can be easily worked with hands and machine tools
- Australian Blackwood turns, glues, stains, and finishes well
Common uses of Australian Blackwood:
- Blackwood timber has been commonly used for making veneer, furniture, cabinetry, musical instruments, gunstocks, turned objects, and alternative specialty wood objects.
- The sound of an Australian Blackwood guitar is warm and mellow, with a rich depth that has made it popular among musicians and instrument makers.
- Australian blackwood has been utilized in the construction of organs and pianos due to its dense nature which helps create a well-rounded sound from these larger instruments.
- Tasmanian wood is used as a nurse tree in the rehabilitation of disturbed natural forests.
- Australian Blackwood is highly sought after by timber merchants because it can be sustainably harvested due to responsible forestry management practices that are employed throughout Australia’s forestry industry today.
- Amongst hobbyists, Australian blackwood can also be found in many fine crafts projects such as carving bowls and spoons or turning items on a lathe.
- The barks and twig’s of the Australian Blackwood tree is used to poison fish as a way of fishing. This tree can also be used as a fire barrier plant, amongst other plants, in rural situations.
Whether you are looking for a beautiful wood for your home, Australian Blackwood is an amazing wood that has plenty of uses and will last for years to come.
Its beauty, strength and durability make it a great choice for any project! With its unique coloring, Australian Blackwood is sure to bring a unique and beautiful touch to whatever project you choose. So why not try it out today? You won't be disappointed!
Check out to purchase our collection of Australian Blackwood productsGather here to acquire more knowledge about Australian Blackwood from our Exotic Wood Zone